Careers at Structure Based Design (SBD)
It is SBD's policy to give equal consideration to all qualified applicants regardless of race, religion, sex, age, color, national origin, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation, political affiliation, medical condition, disability or gender identity.
Post-doc and Scientist
The candidate will join our fast paced research group in protein biochemistry and recombinant DNA technology. The position entails producing and expressing recombinant proteins to support crystallographic efforts for co-crystal structure determination with clients’ compounds and our fragment library.
The ideal candidate will have the following background/skill sets:
- Ph.D., or Masters, in molecular biology, biochemistry, or the equivalent knowledge and experience, is required.
- Must be highly organized, motivated and able to work independently in a collaborative team-oriented setting
- Excellent communication and organizational skills are a must.
- Minimum of 3 years experience in the following areas:
- Cloning including PCR, restriction analysis, DNA sequencing, primer and vector design of clones for use in E. coli and/or baculovirus expression systems. Experienceith Baculovirus cell cultures (including Wave bioreactor fermentations) and transfection techniques a plus
- Protein expression analysis, optimization, and scale-up using bioreactors
- Design and execute protein purification and characterization protocols to obtain the best protein for the project
- Protein purification of recombinant proteins including but not limited to: His-tag, GST-tag, Maltose affinity purification, Ion Exchange, Hydrophobic Interaction, Size Exclusion
- Protein refolding
- Purification of untagged proteins
- Western blotting and SDS-PAGE techniques
- Assay Development: Fluorescence, TRF, Luminescence, PF, Couple assay
- Working knowledge of Bioinformatics and databases would be helpful
Structure Based Design, Inc (SBD) is seeking a motivated research associate in cell and molecular biology, biochemistry or related field. The individual will be a critical part of our products development team, development a new line of recombinant protein products for drug discovery and commercial use. This position requires extensive hands-on experience with a broad range of techniques including protein expression and purification, molecular cloning, PCR, mammalian cell, insect cells and bacterial culture, ELISA, as well as in vitro cell-based/immuno-based assays.
Essential duties and responsibilities
- Perform protein expression and purification in bacterial culture, insect cells or mammalian cell system, including antibody and HIS-tagged, GST-tagged protein purification, as well as related molecular techniques.
- Small, moderate or large scale antibody/protein production and purification in suspension bacterial or insect cells or mammalian system.
- Perform molecular cloning techniques and aid in construction of phage display libraries.
- Characterize engineered proteins through WB, ELISA, and in vitro assays; affinity measurement through ELISA, assay development for validation of antibody constructs and/or targets.
- Routine lab maintenance activities (i.e. buffer and reagent preparation, glassware, etc.)
- Day-to-day problem solving and cross-functional team-based activities to ensure daily operations and timelines are met.
- BS or MS degree in life science with at least 2-3 years of laboratory research.
- Priority for candidates with new production preparation and/or engineering experience; including design and execution of experiments for cloning and large-scale expression of proteins from any source.
- Must be proficient in aseptic cell culture technique.
- Highly organized with excellent analytical and critical thinking skills.
- Highly self-motivated with a strong sense of responsibility and a collaborative spirit.
- Ability to learn new skills quickly, and demonstrate initiative and follow-through in problem-solving. Must be able to work independently with supervision as needed
To apply, send your resume to email@example.com.